All RISD faculty are invited to propose a WS travel course for the following academic year, working with the department head of their area, and related staff, to submit a course proposal by the established course table deadline. All travel course proposals must be approved by the relative Department Head, Division Dean, and Academic Affairs, and then submitted to the Wintersession Committee for final review and approval.
In submitting the proposal, faculty should consider multiple factors, such as the relevance of the location in regards to the academic topic, their own familiarity with the site, the local art and design community, the existing resources available onsite, etc.
Prior to course proposal, RISD faculty members can apply for a Global Engagement for Curricular Development grant to plan, research and prepare to develop a WS travel course or studio. All faculty are welcome, at any time, to meet with RISD Global to discuss plans/thoughts/ideas for potential WS travel courses and/or studios.
Step One: Approval from Department, Division and AA (October-January)
RISD faculty members prepare and submit the course proposal for review in the late fall of the previous academic year (for a Winter session travel course planned to be offered in 2019, the course proposal must be prepared in Fall 2017) as part of the course table.
RISD Faculty submit to the Department Head the following materials:
- Course proposal form (link to course proposal form + instructions for completion)
- Draft budget (created with Academic Budgets & Resources)
- Draft itinerary
- Draft syllabus/curriculum
If the Department Head approves, the department will send all materials to the Dean’s office for their review and approval. If Dean approves, the Dean’s office will submit to Academic Administration all of the above listed materials. Academic Administration approves/does not approve based on available TU budget and contractual compliance confirmation.
Step Two: Submission for Committee Review (February-March)
Academic Administration provides the Wintersession Committee Members with all submission materials to review by February 27th, 2018. In the March meeting, the Committee review and approve all travel courses for following WS. The review focuses on: appropriate faculty + 2nd responsible adult, course proposal and its alignment with location/site of course, budget, and syllabus + itinerary.
Step Three: Approval confirmation (April-May)
Wintersession Committee Chair communicates with faculty if course is approved and, if not, the edits that needs to be done to get the course approved. In copy: Academic Administration, RISD Global, WS Committee Support, Dept. Head & Dean.
Step Four: Announcement + Publicity
Registrar’s sets up, adds to list of travel courses, and adds to Course Announcement (if prior to publication). RISD Global posts the course/studio on their website. Faculty work with RISD Global to establish marketing and promotion strategy.
RISD Global support to WS travel course
Every year, RISD Global works with faculty, Department Heads and Deans to create a supportive environment for these off-campus teaching and learning experiences.
- Consults with faculty, per request, on the location, organization, and details of travel courses and studios during the course preparation stages.
- Helps promote the courses.
- Ensures that the International Crisis Response Team, Public Safety, and Student Affairs are aware of these off-campus courses.
- Co-develops and leads the pre-departure meetings for faculty + joins faculty-led pre-departure meetings for students.
- Provides faculty/students with pre-departure materials and student forms, registers all students and faculty for mandatory health and safety insurance.
- Presents documentation of the courses, when possible, to further promote and support these unique off-campus teaching and learning experiences.
Past Wintersession Travel Courses can be found here.