The Office of International Student Services (OISS) serves as an advocate for international students, advising them on a wide variety of experiences they may encounter during their studies in the United States and, more specifically, at the Rhode Island School of Design. OISS advises on immigration, cultural, social, financial, academic and personal matters. The office supports international students and their success at RISD.
- Immigration Guidance & Compliance – education to maintain status and compliance with the Department of Homeland Security's immigration regulations
- Employment – education on options to best utilize the practical training work authorization and gain experience in their field
- How to Navigate US Systems – education on procedures for securing a Social Security number, state driver’s license or ID, setting up a bank account, setting up a mobile phone account and filing taxes
- Cross-Cultural Adjustment and Support – support in transitioning to life at RISD and in the US
- Promote Cross-Cultural Awareness on Campus – production of opportunities to learn more about the various cultures and customs that enrich our campus
- Intercultural Club Support – work with the intercultural student clubs and assist in student leadership development
The RISD Writing Center provides free one-to-one peer tutoring in writing to all RISD students. Skilled graduate and undergraduate tutors are available to consult on everything from outlining to grammar to clarity of thought—serving as a sounding board along the way to effective articulation. Tutors assist with all aspects and types of writing, from research papers to graduate theses, artist’s statements to grant applications, English 101 assignments to papers by non-native speakers wishing to fine-tune their command of written English.
Meeting with a tutor is a collaborative process that helps students develop their writing skills in an environment of respect for each individual’s voice, experience and intention. While we primarily offer one-hour tutoring sessions, the Writing Center is more broadly a community of students and faculty that values writing in all disciplines and appreciates its significance in the context of art and design.
Visit risdwritingcenter.com for more information or to set up an appointment.
The Writing Center offers:
- one-to-one peer tutoring in writing
- support in writing for undergraduate and graduate students of all skill levels
- support in writing for students whose first language is not English
- writing workshops
- books and handouts on style, grammar, documentation, etc.
- books written by artists and designers; books on writing about art and design
- artist’s statement file
- resources for faculty assigning writing
- computers, coffee and camaraderie