Interested in coming to RISD as an exchange student?
You must be enrolled as full-time student at one of RISD's partner institutions and in your junior or senior year or at graduate level (United States equivalent).
RISD classes are taught in English. There are no language requirements, but please note, RISD does not offer language courses for incoming exchange students.
How to Apply
Fall 2017 Application Deadline for Incoming Exchange Students is Friday, March 3, 2017
AICAD EXCHANGE APPLICANTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY BY THIS DATE OR AS CLOSE TO THIS DATE AS POSSIBLE.
Students will be notified of a decision approximately mid-April.
Spring 2018 Application Deadline for Incoming Exchange Students is:
Friday, October 6, 2017
Required submission materials:
- Application submitted via Slideroom
- Application Form
- Statement of Purpose
- The statement should be a concise and thoughtful consideration of your goals and reasons for seeking to study at RISD. Discuss how the proposed program of study would benefit your artistic development and educational and career goals.
- 2 Faculty letters of recommendation
- Recommendations should come from faculty members who have taught you in the past year. We highly recommend that you request 3 faculty recommendations to ensure that we receive at least 2 by the deadline. Requested and submitted through Reference section in Slideroom.
- Nomination from Advisor
- Your advisor will be required to submit a form through Slideroom to verify your nomination to be considered for exchange. Requested and submitted through Reference section in Slideroom.
- Official transcript. If applying as a graduate student, include both undergraduate and graduate transcripts with currently enrolled courses.
- Portfolio of 10-15 images of recent work.
- The application requires a portfolio, which should include 10–15 images of work in your proposed area of study. Be sure to include the process, images and text. You should include your strongest, most recent major-related work. Include descriptions of each image, including the work’s title, medium, and dimensions.
- Passport Photo
- $10 fee paid with valid credit card in Slideroom (mailed in fee not accepted)
Submit application for Incoming Exchange Application - Fall 2017
Application for Spring 2018 will be made available after Fall 2017 closes.
RISD Fall semester runs from mid-September to mid-December. RISD Spring semester runs from mid-February to the end of May.
The Selection Process
Exchange is for one semester only and you are only allowed to take courses at RISD. Decision of admissions are determined by the specific Department Head of the department you are applying to.
You cannot apply for exchange to more than one department in a semester. Therefore, carefully consider which department best matches your portfolio and your strengths as a student and artist. Your application is reviewed by the Head of the department you apply to, and a decision is made based on your application and space available in your department. Please note that Exchange is available in all RISD departments except Digital Media. Please go to risd.edu to view departments, courses, and the RISD calendar.
Incoming exchange students have the option of living on-campus or off-campus.
Please see information for on-campus housing here: RISD Housing for Exchange Students page.