Application for Spring 2019 Now Open!
AICAD Mobility Exchange is open to all RISD students who wish to spend one semester in their junior or senior year at one of 41 leading art schools in the US and Canada partnered through the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design. RISD sophomores and juniors are invited to apply the semester before they plan to study away. The deadline to complete your application is Wednesday, October 10th, 2018.
- 12PM Every Tuesday & Thursday @ RISD Global (321 ProvWash): September 11th - October 5th, feel free to bring your lunch!
- Wed. 9/12, 6:30PM @ Design Center, Room 211
- Tues. 9/18, 6:30PM @ RISD Global (321 ProvWash)
- Tues. 9/25, 6:30PM @ BEB, Room 124
- Thurs. 10/4, 6:30PM @ ID Building, Room 600 (6th floor)
AICAD Mobility Exchange: Program Snapshot
RISD participates in the AICAD Mobility exchange program of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design, a non-profit consortium of 41 leading art schools in the US and Canada. This unique opportunity allows RISD juniors and seniors from any department to inhabit the life of art and design students at one of the AICAD member institutions, exploring alternate perspectives, approaches to making, and specialty skills in different locations across North America.
On AICAD Mobility exchange you'll take the equivalent of 12 RISD credits, pre-approved by your department. The rest of your time is yours to fill, visiting museums and galleries, exploring your host city's contemporary arts scene, and participating in campus events. Many students even take time to intern or volunteer at local studios and arts organizations, which can be coordinated for credit through RISD Careers.
Upon your return, a new evolution of your thought and practice, sparked by your exchange experience, will fuel your work in the studio and your perspective in crit going into your final semesters at RISD.
To learn more about the program, you are invited to schedule a 1:1 advising session at RISD Global.
Am I eligible?
Typically students participate in exchange during their 2nd semester of junior year or 1st semester of senior year, but Global Exchange is open to all juniors and seniors.
- Undergraduate students in four-year programs may participate during their junior or senior year.
- Undergraduate students in five-year programs can participate during their 4th or 5th year.
- Transfer students are eligible, as long as they fulfill RISD's residency requirement (minimum of two years of residency before granting a degree)
To apply, you must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, you must demonstrate general qualifications of maturity and motivation, and you must remain in good standing at RISD, in terms of conduct and finances up until, and throughout, your time on the program.
Admitted students continue to pay tuition to RISD for their semester on AICAD exchange (one-half college tuition and one-half student activity fee) and continue to receive the financial aid award they are entitled (if applicable) while participating in the AICAD Exchange. There may be additional fees related to some majors at the host school. Students will pay any related fees directly to the host school.
AICAD Member Schools
For a complete list of member schools and details including departments and degrees offered, visit the AICAD website here.
Ready to Apply?
First Step: Research Host Institutions
- Begin by researching the AICAD member schools' websites and try to narrow your focus down to two programs of interest.
Read through the course catalogs of your selected prospective AICAD schools and be prepared to discuss what courses you would like to take, should you be accepted.
- Next, meet with your department head/advisor to discuss which programs he/ she recommends.
- Schedule a 1:1 advising session with RISD Global to discuss the exchange process in general and to answer any questions about your selected member schools.
Other factors to consider:
- Program Dates + Credits: Will you miss Wintersession? Will the exchange period include some of your summer months? If you're away from RISD's campus will you be on track to get the credits you need?
Tuition + Fees: While on exchange, you'll continue to pay tuition and fees directly to RISD. You will receive your regular financial aid award (if applicable) while on exchange.
Second Step: RISD Global Exchange Application
Before applying to your chosen AICAD school, you must apply for RISD's nomination. The deadline to complete your RISD Global Exchange application is Wednesday, October 10th, 2018.
*Note: when you click on the Global Exchange Application link, you will be directed to the RISD Admissions Slate application portal. Please create an account or login if you already have one, and you will be given the option to start an application for Global Exchange.
RISD Global Exchange Application Materials:
Approval from Department Head and Academic Advisor: Requested and submitted through Reference section in Slate. If your Department Head and Academic Advisor are the same person, both approvals will be sent as one.
Two faculty recommendations completed by RISD faculty: Requested and submitted through Reference section in Slate.
Statement of Purpose*: The statement should be a concise and thoughtful discussion of how the proposed program of study at the host institution would benefit your artistic development and educational/career goals. Your essay should be tailored to your chosen host institution, just like an admissions essay.
Don't hesitate to ask RISD Center for Arts & Language for assistance. The Center is an outstanding resource staffed by talented peer tutors. The benefit of having another set of eyes on your writing cannot be underestimated.
Portfolio*: 10–15 images of work in your proposed area of study. You should include your strongest, most recent major-related work. Include descriptions of each image, including the work’s title, medium, and dimensions. We highly recommend that you meet with your academic advisor if you need guidance with selecting images for your portfolio.
- Resume/CV: A place to showcase relevant work/volunteer/internship opportunities, your skillset, and other interests or areas of expertise.
*Starred items may also be used later in your AICAD application.
Third Step: RISD Nomination
Once your application materials for your internal RISD Global Exchange application have been approved, RISD Global will send you a nomination letter (Statement of Approval) for your AICAD application to your proposed host institution. You may then submit your AICAD application.
Fourth Step: AICAD Application
Once you've received your Statement of Approval Letter from RISD Global, you may submit your AICAD Exchange Application at the following link. AICAD Mobility applications will be accepted until the deadline of Thursday, November 1st, 2018.
You may apply to two member schools only - a primary and secondary choice. Host schools retain the sole discretion to accept an application. A $10 fee will be collected at the time of application.
AICAD Application Materials
Refer to the guidelines below as you complete your application:
AICAD EXCHANGE COORDINATOR CONTACT + STATEMENT OF APPROVAL LETTER
Once your application materials for your internal RISD Global Exchange application have been approved, RISD Global will send you a nomination (Statement of Approval), a letter from the AICAD Exchange Coordinator at RISD, certifying your eligibility to participate in AICAD Mobility exchange. This will include the contact information for the AICAD Exchange Coordinator at RISD.
Be prepared to answer the following essay question by researching the course catalogs of your selected prospective AICAD schools:
What courses would you like take should you be accepted to attend your (first choice + second choice) host school for one semester under the AICAD Exchange?
RISD REGISTRAR INFORMATION
List the name, email address and mailing address for the Registrar at RISD exactly as below- for the purpose of receiving your official transcripts after completing a semester at the host institution:
Name: Office of the Registrar
Mailing Address: Office of the Registrar, Rhode Island School of Design, 2 College Street, Providence, RI, 02903 USA
- Statement of Purpose: a concise, thoughtful consideration of your goals and reasons for seeking AICAD exchange. It should discuss how your proposed study at the host school relates to your education and career goals.
- Portfolio: 6 - 10 examples of artwork, including work in the proposed area of study. Include the medium, dimensions and date in the description for each piece. Images (up to 5MB each), Video (up to 250MB each), Audio (up to 30MB each) and PDFs (up to 10MB each) will be accepted. You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud.
- Transcript: transcripts of all college-level work completed at the home school to date. For more information on transcript requests, visit the RISD Registrar website here.
Final Step: Acceptance & Confirmation Materials
Once your application to the host institution has been accepted, please inform RISD Global of your acceptance and begin planning for Exchange!
You will need to attend pre-departure sessions and submit the following documents to RISD Global before you depart:
- Health and Emergency Contact Form
- Global Exchange Terms of Agreement Form
- Global Exchange Learning Agreement
- Passport main photo page copy (if applicable)
- Flight itinerary (if applicable)
Find Out More!
You're encouraged to schedule a 1:1 advising session with our RISD Global advisor to learn more about AICAD Mobility exchange, ask questions, and discuss your specific aspirations. You can also learn more by attending one of our lunch or evening info sessions. Dates and times are posted on this website and promoted by RISD Global on campus and on Instagram @risdglobal.